Contact Us for a Free Consultation 303-642-8888

Auto Insurance Minimums in Colorado

Drivers in Colorado are required to have a minimum level of insurance coverage to be able to drive on public roads. Insurance laws vary state-to-state and Colorado drivers are required to carry a minimum level of liability coverage in the case of an accident. Drivers can always buy more coverage that can offer more protection but most drivers only carry the minimum.

After an accident, the cost of medical bills and losses for injury victims with permanent injuries can exceed the minimum liability coverage. After the limits are reached, the at-fault driver may be personally responsible for any additional damages. The insurance company may pay out their maximum amount of liability and a personal injury claim will allow the victim to hold any other negligent parties liable for any additional damages. 

The attorneys at can help you deal with the insurance company, negligent drivers, and any other parties who share in the liability for your injuries. Experienced Colorado car accident lawyers will fight to get you the money to repair your car, pay your bills, and cover your lost income after an accident. Contact us today for a free consultation.

State Minimum Liability Insurance in Colorado

Under Colorado law, the minimum amount of liability coverage for drivers applies to bodily injury and property damage when the driver is at fault. The state minimums are as follows: 

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death to any one person in an accident;
  • $50,000 for bodily injury or death to all persons in any one accident; and
  • $15,000 for property damage in any one accident. 

Optional Insurance Coverage

While most drivers only opt for the minimal level of coverage. However, optional insurance coverage can provide a driver with extra protection where the driver causes the accident or the driver is the victim in an accident. Optional coverage also applies to non-accident situations, such as theft or vandalism. 

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Not all drivers on the road carry insurance. Their insurance coverage may have lapsed or they have suspended licenses or are unlicensed drivers. Even where the negligent driver has insurance, it may not be enough to cover the accident. Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage gives additional coverage protections to a driver who is the victim of an accident where the other driver's insurance will not cover the damages. UM/UIM coverage will apply to hit-and-run accidents. 

Comprehensive and Collision Coverage

Even when drivers avoid an accident, living in a city often involves other property damage threats. Drivers in Denver may face expensive damage to their vehicle caused by: 

  • Vandalism, 
  • Auto theft, 
  • Falling objects, 
  • Fire, or
  • Natural disasters.  

Comprehensive coverage applies when there is vehicle damage that is not caused by an accident or where the driver is not in the car at the time. Collision coverage will apply to cover property damage to the vehicle when there is an accident involving another car, a stationary object, or a single-vehicle accident. Some vehicle financing policies require collision coverage.  

Health Insurance Coverage

After an injury accident, drivers may face overlapping or conflicting coverage between their health insurance company and the driver's insurance coverage. This will depend a lot on the type of health insurance coverage and automobile insurance coverage. Talk to your auto accident attorney about how to make sure your accident injuries and damages are covered and how to get the maximum compensation for your losses. 

Denver Auto Accident Injury Lawyers

The attorneys at have successfully represented their clients to get compensation for their losses. Our attorneys understand how the insurance companies operate and will fight to get the maximum compensation available for your injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation.